Friday, February 13, 2009

Time passing


Since the fishing trips were over and summer was not, I stayed outside the rest of the summer. I ended up getting a dirt cheap 300mm lens. I think I might have spent a $130 for it. Totally unaware of anything really photography related, I couldn't wait to use this thing. Made by Promaster, it was something out of a book. It was big, heavy, and had a large piece of glass on the front. After using it for about a day or two, I realized why it was so cheap. It was not an autofocus lens, and it was a push/pull zoom. Using it taught me an extremely valuable lesson, find out what you are getting into before jumping in. It took some time to get used to it, and eventually I did. Even though it eventually got destroyed and tossed in the garbage, it was a well spent $130. I only got one decent picture out of it. It is still a personal favorite of mine today. I went out to Maumee Bay State Park to walk around on the boardwalk. About half way through it, there is a place where at the time was a blind. It was a public blind that you could wait for birds and deer to walk through. There were inscriptions on the benches inside, on the walls, it was an obvious place for many couples. As I walked about half way down the path, I heard something behind me. When I turned around I could not believe what I saw. There was this mother deer and her little fawn. Just laying there and completely careless about my presence. With this cheap lens and fairly new camera, I crept as close as I could without getting them too nervous. I zoomed all the way in and started shooting in burst mode. There were probably 50 pictures of these two by the time it was over with. Now this is the only one that remains. The quality of it is greatly deteriorated now. It never was good in the first place, but it still remains one of those things you can't forget. Since learning what lenses are good for situations like this, the lens was finally replaced and more pictures of deer were taken out there. People like deer. They find them natural and intriguing, and tasty. Pictures of deer are something people will always look at and find amazement in. For that reason, I will probably always take pictures of deer. Not because I find them so amazing, but because they do make for good subjects which ultimately entertain the audience. More deer are in the future on this site, but not for a while. Many more things happened before I got that new lens.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you shot the deer with your camera and not a weapon!

    Beautiful story woven.

    ReplyDelete