Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Final trip of the summer










In the dog days of summer, the weekend weather shaped up to make for a good weekend trip. Without much money on hand, I couldn't go too far. Grand Rapids was the initial destination. About 45 minutes from home, the sites were directly next to the water. In the same location where the picture of the dam was taken, it was 17 dollars a night for primitive camping(my style). As I pulled in, the camp was completely full. This was the last chance for the year I would get for camping, there was no way I was going to give up. The campground was located on the Maumee River and has several islands located on it. While driving back, I was contemplating where I could park my car, and then hike across the river to the islands for a couple nights. With the kayak on top of my car, it was turning out to be a difficult decision. On top of my gear, the kayak would also have to be included in the plans. Driving along the river, there were many parks, but none permitting camping. After making it back into town, the next campground I was aware of was another 45 minutes away, without a place for my kayak. It occurred to me as I turned to go home there was one place where I remember campsites. It site about 100 yards off the river and offers only a dozen primitive sites. It proved worth the time to check it out. Turning out to be the only one there I set up camp and started a campfire. Once it was started, the weekend started off in a great way, a skunk walked no more than 15 feet from me. Fortunately, experiences have taught me to just be aware of the animal and make no attempt to take pictures or pick this one up. About 20 minutes later a feral cat ran by. As the sun went down, the cicadas started to sing. With the fire crackling, cicada's singing and the moon out in full force, it was nice to be the only soul around. Feeling adventurous, I made my way down to the river for a late night walk. With my flashlight in hand and large knife in the other pocket, it was quite eerie. Walking down an overflow riverbed with 15 foot banks on either side, you could only see straight ahead of you. Every noise was distinctly loud and unnerving. Feeling brave, the river came sooner than I thought. It was great to sit on the Great Maumee River by my lonesome and listen to the water move over the rocks. The main goal of the weekend was the same as any other, hang out around the water, go fishing and take some pictures. The next morning I woke up bright and early. Walking back to the overflow path, there were several deer making their way towards me. One looked up noticing my movement, and I immediately fell to the ground. Recognizing their intentions to move down the river towards me, I stayed there until one was about 30 feet from me. I took several pictures while they were walking up, but the lighting was terrible. With a small fawn in her presence the mother noticed me and started snorting and stomping her feet. Steam started pouring out of her nose as she exhaled because of the cool morning air. As her fawn stayed back with the others, she took an aggressive posture and took a step toward me. Not wanting to take my eyes off of her, the camera stayed down as we looked each other in the eye. Still down on my knees, she took another step directly toward me. Wanting to avoid any conflict with a protective mother, I stood up promptly. She immediatly started running back to the pack. Minutes later, they ran out to the main river where I did not get to see them again. With kayak in hand, once the deer were gone, I began my portaging trek to the river where I could spend the morning relaxing. Once out onto the river, loads of waterfowl, shoreline birds and birds of prey began their daily routines. First I spotted a juvenile bald eagle chasing another bird of prey that had a fish in its talons. I tried getting the picture but they were just moving way too fast for me. The scuffle was entertaining, but there was much more to see. As I paddled down stream, the fish started jumping out of the water, and the birds on the shorline started moving as I grew closer. Several were close enough that I could get a decent shot on them. As afternoon drew near, I took a nap in the kayak while on the river. Waking up to a dreadful burning sensation, the sun turned me into a new crayon color. Paddling back to camp was anything but pleasant. Feeling your skin stretching with every movement, I got out of the kayak and swam back with it until I could start walking. Back at camp, and a few stroke strokes of the knife later, a stick on the ground turned into a cooking utensil and the fire roasted hot dogs had a hint of oak flavor to them. The delicious meal was the energy I needed to get back out and finish up with a day of fishing. Fishing was not great, but fighting any smallmouth bass on 4lb test fishing line is fun. Eventually, the second night had set in, and it was time to finish the weekend with another fire. Having a terrible sunburn and smelling like a dirty river, the sleep was far from enjoyable. The overall experience was great, and I will surely go back, even if it is for one night only. It turned out to be only a 15 minute drive from home. If there is ever a need to get away without really leaving, I found the spot.

1 comment:

  1. what an awesome outing for you! the way you write, it feels like one is right there with you and can hear the birds, feel the water, and smell the camp fire.

    ReplyDelete