Thursday, February 19, 2009

Killing Time






Having stepped into some major time killing mode, the camera became much more attached to me than ever before. A few weeks ago, some of my best friends decided to drive to a model home center about 30 minutes away. Asking me if I wanted to ride along and tour the houses with them, I obliged. Thinking it would be a great opportunity to practice some interior design photography, it turned out to be the opposite. Once again, nothing went as planned. Seems to be that way from my experiences so far with photography outings. We toured 3 houses and we discussed the practicality of the layouts. Which ones were good for a family, and which ones were good for those without children. Would you willingly walk down a flight of stairs and then up a flight of stairs, through the living room and then through the sitting room, and then back to unload your groceries? Things of that nature. After some analytical thoughts about the houses, the met with a representative for the homes and started discussing details, what color the house should be, carpeting color and type or maybe wood floors, how about wall color, lighting fixtures, door knobs, countertops, sink fixtures, window blind styles and colors. Needless to say, my input was not totally necessary or welcomed by a 4 month pregnant lady, hahaha. They felt bad about bringing me along not realizing it would take so long. With my camera by my side, I could have cared less. Since the meeting went way past the offices hours, the showroom was wide open with excellent lighting and samples of things from shudders, flooring, doors, and whatever else goes inside a house. Everything was arranged in an aesthically pleasing fashion, meaning the composition for great photographs is there if you can SEE it. With the place to myself, I had a great time wandering around taking pictures. They kept checking on me to make sure I wasn't getting bored, HA! With so much to photograph I knew there was know way to get it all in. Instead of trying to get as many shots as possible, it was better to make sure the shots counted. After a couple hours, their meeting came to an end and the lights were turned off. With a house and new floor plans picked out, they now had a few images to ready to get put up on the wall.

1 comment: