Tuesday, March 17, 2009














Today was a perfect day. With a high of about 70F, it was a little windy to begin with but settled down for much of the day. At first I was going to walk through the park with my dog, but those places are starting to get old. As spring comes around, its time to start fishing again. It is perhaps the most enjoyable thing I can imagine doing. With the Walleye run ready to kick off once the river levels drop some more, I thought I would scope out my target areas while walking my dog. After going to Sidecut Metropark, I made my way over to Fort Meigs. There were a few people there trying to get first crack at things, but it wasnt anything exciting. Afterwards, I made my way to New Orleans Park. WOW! That place was teaming with people. You would have thought the season was well underway there. After walking down to the river, there were several hundred people in the river fishing. On both sides, people were catching fish and reaching their limit within 2 hours. It was a great site, except I am without a fishing license. I couldn't even push my luck because my equipment is at home. At any given second, you could find someone with a fish on their line. Millions upon millions walleye enter into the river to spawn, and at times you can feel them swim between your legs. The only way to legally keep a fish, is to catch it in the mouth. After spending the day down there talking with the locals and other depressed fishermen who left their gear at home, the realization that spring is here showed itself in the form of an apple red face. Seeing everyone bring in fish so quick brought back some good memories. There is nothing in the world like the feeling of having large fish on the line, wondering if it will still be there when your done reeling your line in. Oh, then dinner is tres bien!

No comments:

Post a Comment