Thursday, March 19, 2009

Back to the park











It was a fairly nice day outside today. With all the funds dried up, and running low on gas, I couldn't venture too far so I went to the park with the dog again. As I pulled in, the frogs and their singing was almost ear piercing. It was the only thing you noticed. It was my goal to get a picture of one of these guys while singing. These are not your standard bullfrog, or leopard frog, these are tiny little things. Maybe an inch or two at most. The woods are still pretty inundated with water, but its no more than 2 feet deep in most spots. I put on my boots so I could walk through most parts of the park. It is easy to find where the frogs are. Impossible to not know where they are at, but actually pinpointing them is another story. If you walk into a group of them singing, they all stop. They are so small, that unless you have an idea of where to look, your chances are better at winning the lottery. Finding a dry log out of the water, I sat on it for nearly 45 minutes just waiting. About 15 minutes after sitting down, they started up again. Seemingly only several feet away, I scanned the area with my camera lens with no luck finding them. Any noise made by myself, the dog, or an overhead bird made the frogs quiet down. Even after talking to a park ranger, who also got his feet wet trying to help, the goal for the day was not reached. In an ironic twist, I took more pictures in the last 30 minutes of the 5 total hours I was there. They weren't even really nature pictures, instead pictures of a rusted bridge and a playground. The pictures from today were good, but I did not reach my goal. Its ok, those frogs aren't going anywhere for a while and there will always be another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment